Every day from dusk until dawn, the tower of our beautiful church is floodlit, enhancing the detail of architecture and offering a beacon of light far beyond the village.
It was in 2002 that the Rector, Peter Owen Jones, asked the Friends of Haslingfield Church to organise the ‘650 Festival’ to celebrate the anniversary of the re-dedication of the Church in 1352. At the main event, attended by over 600 people, one of the many attractions was the floodlighting of the Church tower.
The reaction to the floodlighting was much greater than could have been imagined, with many people asking whether this could be done on a permanent basis. Some villagers were so keen that they offered to donate towards the costs. Following a rapid appeal, more than sufficient funds were raised for the project, including a grant from South Cambridgshire District Council’s Conservation Dept.
On 19 th April 20013 it was officially switched on and dedicated to Fusilier Kelan Turrington who was from the village and had recently been killed in Iraq.
Once the lights were in operation, a sponsorship scheme was set up to ensure that funds would always be available for maintenance and the cost of electricity. This scheme offers a way of marking special occasions and remembering loved ones, with a ‘certificate’ posted inside the church with