The organ, which dates from 1846 and is by J.C. Bishop, was installed in Haslingfield Church in 2002 by Peter Bumstead, who himself had learned his trade from Bishop & Son in Ipswich.
Originally built for the Church of Holy Trinity, Paddington by James Chapman Bishop, it was removed to St. Mary’s Church, Ely in 1879 without its original casing.
The organist of Ely Cathedral at the time was Dr. Edmund Chipp who had previously played it in London when he was organist at the Paddington Church. The instrument is a remarkable survival from an earlier 19 th century tradition of organ building, which was gradually superseded as the century progressed. The organ was awarded a Historic Organ Certificate by the British Institute of Organ Studies.
Anne Page, Christopher Whitton and William McVicker gave the opening recitals in 2002 and since then there have been many events and concerts from visiting organists.